Re: Scalecoat paint

dennyanspach <danspach@...>

This thread has been very interesting on several levels, not the least of which is that the comments on Floquil (particularly by Andy Harman) reflect almost exactly my own experience. I still have -and guard- a collection of old square-bottle Floquil, and the interval degradation in Roof Brown, Grimy Black, Caboose Red and other colors makes one weep. On the other hand, I have had no problems with Floquil, old or new, covering the "hard surfaces" mentioned, but I use it straight out of the bottle (50:50 thinned with good lacquer thinner).

The very best grimy black was the old Stewart-Lundahl 410M grimy black, which had a hint of blue. The very worst is the present Floquil (they ought to be ashamed).

Now, Scalecoat has been my gold standard for years: a superb paint that is especially forgiving in the hands of those who may have proficiency problems. In this regard, Scalecoat I has held pride-of-place in my armamentarium for many years, despite the drawbacks of extended drying time, and that they are unrelentingly glossy.

Now, I would like listers to convincingly explain to me just why I should stick to Scalecoat I, and not move to Scalecoat II? If Scalecoat II is "kind to plastics" (understood), and it is quick drying, what disadvantages -if any- would there be to move to Scalecoat II altogether? I have heard say that Scalecoat I is a better-wearing paint for brass, but is there any data beyond anecdotes to support this assertion, or that Scalecoat II would be less good?

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.