Re: Scalecoat paint

dennyanspach <danspach@...>

This thread has been very interesting on several levels, not the least of which is that the comments on Floquil (particularly by Andy Harman) reflect almost exactly my own experience. I still have -and guard- a collection of old square-bottle Floquil, and the interval degradation in Roof Brown, Grimy Black, Caboose Red and other colors makes one weep. On the other hand, I have had no problems with Floquil, old or new, covering the "hard surfaces" mentioned, but I use it straight out of the bottle (50:50 thinned with good lacquer thinner).

The very best grimy black was the old Stewart-Lundahl 410M grimy black, which had a hint of blue. The very worst is the present Floquil (they ought to be ashamed).

Now, Scalecoat has been my gold standard for years: a superb paint that is especially forgiving in the hands of those who may have proficiency problems. In this regard, Scalecoat I has held pride-of-place in my armamentarium for many years, despite the drawbacks of extended drying time, and that they are unrelentingly glossy.

Now, I would like listers to convincingly explain to me just why I should stick to Scalecoat I, and not move to Scalecoat II? If Scalecoat II is "kind to plastics" (understood), and it is quick drying, what disadvantages -if any- would there be to move to Scalecoat II altogether? I have heard say that Scalecoat I is a better-wearing paint for brass, but is there any data beyond anecdotes to support this assertion, or that Scalecoat II would be less good?

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento