Re: Truck bearings: Solid vs. RB

Jeff Coleman

Having been around the railroad as a kid then working for the N&W as a brakeman and carman and still work in the industry I've always heard the term friction bearing used along with solid or plain bearing when referring to wheel journals.
For what it's worth the current 2012 Field Manual of the A.A.R Interchange Rules, Rule 90 - Cars and/or Car Parts Prohibited in Interchange. B. Car Parts, 4. Journal Bearings and Components, a. Friction (plain)journal bearings.

Jeff Coleman

--- In, Anthony Thompson <thompson@...> wrote:

Dave Evans wrote:
I do think "Solid" bearing is out - unless referring to an actual
bearing block that lacks any oil flow control holes.
This may be one area where standardization of terms may not be
viable (sorry Richard), and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
I agree that there may not be a clear usage we can call
"standard," but particularly in reading _Railway Age_ (and I have read
a lot of their pieces in the 1930 to 1960 era, to understand trucks
more fully), I can assure you that the terms "solid bearing" and
"plain bearing" are BOTH frequent, and are used in ways which appear
to be interchangeable. Whether this accords with your perspective as a
mechanical engineer, 60 or 70 years after the time cited, does not
seem to me relevant to the terminology which those on this list should

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Join to automatically receive all group messages.