Re: ADMIN: Spam and Manufacturer's Business Practices

Mikebrock

Tom Madden writes:

"It's one thing to ask for a replacement if you bought the kit from Martin, but if it was a private transaction you should assume someone else has unwrapped and repackaged the kit, so it's buyer beware."

Well, that's a valid assumption...although I did purchase from Pittsburgh Scale Models a model of a UP flat car...only to find a C&O decal inside...no UP one. Yes, I did get a UP decal replacement. Nevertheless, I don't think it's a case of buyer beware. I mean, it's always that case, isn't it? I mean, if Sunshine had replied that they had no decal replacements, no problem. I am actually surprised that they did have replacements...although not for the complainer. And, that is the problem.

Tim O'Connor says:

"For example, decals are not
made "on demand" -- He produces a batch of them based on his estimated lifetime
sales of the model, perhaps with a little extra. When he finally discontinues the kit
(most kits have a steep drop-off in sales after the first year of production) then if has
parts or decals left over, he brings them to the many RPM meets he attends."

If the issue was that Sunshine could not maintain parts including decals for any reason...fine, the complainer would have no problem in that case. However, there was no mention of this situation in the reply. Indeed, the reply indicated that Sunshine WOULD supply decals to an original buyer. Mind you, the complainer attempted to purchase the decal.

MIke Brock
STMFC Owner