Re: ADMIN: Spam and Manufacturer's Business Practices

Mikebrock

Tim O'Connor writes:

"But in your example where you bought kit X.1 and you really wanted the lettering from X.2 -- and I have been in that situation -- Martin does not feel any obligation to provide decal #2 if he
doesn't have a spare one on hand, and that seems perfectly fair to me."

Your example is not what I attempted to describe in my encounter with Pittsburgh Scale Models. In that case, I bought a kit [ BTW, it contains a 24...repeat, 24...pg instruction booklet...worth the cost of the kit ] for a UP flat car [ so lettered on the box ] only to find a C&O decal inside...no UP decal. And, make no mistake, Pittsburgh Scale Models [ Byron Rose ] DID send me a replacement...at no cost. My example was to show that mistakes happen...even by someone as meticulous as Byron...and usually the best remedy is to correct it...if possible.

Your statement:

"Martin does not feel any obligation to provide decal #2 if he
doesn't have a spare one on hand, and that seems perfectly fair to me."

Seems perfectly fair to me, too. The trouble is, that is not what happened. Sunshine responded that they do not provide replacement decals to after market purchases. Regardless. The number of spares and/or the attempt at payment did not enter into the response from Sunshine.

To be clear on this. If Sunshine wishes to not support the after market purchaser, that is their business and they deserve the freedom to do that. STMFC management's position is not to make a judgement on that but, rather, to warn its members that Sunshine DOES have such a policy AND it does not indicate that in the warranty noice in their kit. In fact, the warranty gives the impression that it travels with the kit...which it does...at least physically. BTW, some other resin manufacturers DO warrant their kits regardless of how the purchase is made...as long as they have the spares.

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner