Decals; was [RE: Re: ADMIN: Spam and Manufacturer's Business Practices]

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Andy, the last Alps printers were sold in May of 2000. Not quite fifteen
years ago. And supplies will be produced through May of 2015.

There are printers capable of printing white available as inkjets, lasers
and thermo transfer but, as stated, too much money for anyone not in the
printing business full time. And the thermo transfer units don't generally
have the capability of printing anything but tractor drive paper.

The idea of charging $10.00 for a decal set (much more than I generally see
them BTW) isn't all that much if you knew the cost of white inks/toners. For
an Alps it's close to double (maybe more nowadays) than your other colors
and you gets maybe a third as much! The other thing is there is no reduction
in price for volume printing using an Alps. One sheet or two hundred, the
cost per sheet is the same. The only item that can be spread over several
sets is the artwork, something most Alps decal printers seldom charge for
anyway, at least for rr decals. Believe me at $10.00 for 5.5 X 8.5 or 6 X 9,
these guys are getting very little in the way of profit. I've been doing
this on a small scale since around 1999 and my newest printer coast me
$1100.00 + including shipping in February 2000.

For the immediate future there will be decals printed in small quantity but
high quality (controlled more by artwork than printer) from Alps guys, But
the end is approaching.

John Hagen