Re: ADMIN: Spam and Manufacturer's Business Practices

Andy Harman

At 11:50 AM 5/2/2012 -0500, you wrote:
Whenever possible, I now use Microscale decals even with resin kits that
provide their own decals. I have had a decal failure with Martin's once and
was unable to secure a replacement.
I coat all my decals with Microscale Decal Film before I start cutting. I've been doing this habitually with MS decals since the 1980s when they made the decal film product available. Any decal that comes from an ALPS or is suspected of coming from an ALPS gets the treatment, and any Microscale decals more than a few years old (which is virtually all of my stash) also get the treatment. Nothing sux like dipping a logo decal you only have one set of into the water and watching it break into 200 pieces and float away, so everybody gets the film restorer first.

Microscale had a huge run of decals from the late 1970s that didn't have enough film base on them - the LHS had a massive stack of returns. MS never acknowledged the problem and blamed "user error" at the time, but the LHS did replace the decals for me (not sure if MS took them back or not). The decal film/restorer appeared on the market shortly after :-) There's no doubt I still have decals from that period in my stash, IMO guaranteed to fall apart if untreated.

Andy