Re: Decal problems

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Andy has good advice there. Using Microscale Decal Film before applying will
help to strengthen any decal, old or new.

A similar problem hit for all the aftermarket printers, Alps and others
about a year or so ago. The supply of the decal paper (the blue backing, not
the film which is applied by the company marketing the paper) was bad. There
is very few makers of this specialized paper. A major supplier to the U.S.
(located in England from what I have been told) had a bad run. Even though
the coating/film would be properly applied the backing would not allow it to
release. The stuff came off in many tiny pieces. Applying Microsoft Decal
Film did not help. Nor would other overcoats. They would maybe make the
pieces bigger but... I did get some of it myself but the number of printers
complaining about it on the various Alps and decal printing groups confirmed
this to be a wild spread problem. Nor was age a factor as I bought it,
printed it and my customers used most of it within a month. Now maybe the
bare paper was old when imported but supposedly it was not. No sense telling
who I got my paper from as it was from two of the three vendors I use and it
had nothing to do with them anyway. Stuff on the market now is fine.

John Hagen