online NYC municipal archive photos

ed_mines

I saw a news story about this on TV a couple of weeks ago.

The searches that I did - freight cars, box cars, coal cars, freight yards .....were disappointing.

Several years ago there was a TV program on the NYC municipal channel where they showed several hundred old photos of NYC in an hour, accompanied by modern music. Each photo was displayed for about 5 seconds. Each sequence was repeated or a lot more photos would have been showed in each program.

Every so often there would be a railroad themed picture, like the freight yard in Manhattan where Lincoln center is located now (Joe Collias has a couple of nice STMFC photos taken in that yard). Ditto for the freight yard near the Bronx zoo and the Sunnyside yards.

Ed Mines