Re: Let's talk about ladders.

Andy Harman

At 01:59 PM 5/9/2012 +0000, you wrote:
I'm particularly fond of the approach Ted Cullotta took with the Miner ladders in the Wabash AAR kitbash in a box. He supplied a set of photo-etched stiles that had the holes for grabs etched in and the modeler had to bend the stile into the angle shape and insert individual rungs from wire. Tedious but very effective. Looks great as well!
I couldn't have said it better... the things were extremely tedious to put together but well worth the effort in the end.

Another approach is to etch the entire ladder, while still requiring the stiles to be folded to create the correct angle look. The downside is the rungs are flat in profile.
This can still be quite effective as Rail Yard Models has done on their kits. You have to get pretty close to see that the rungs are flat. A lot sturdier too.

Of course Kadee's ladders are just exquisite but only a few variations available, and so far I haven't been able to use them to completely re-equip any non-Kadee car. They also make those lovely bracket grabs, but with a different mounting system so you have to plug and re-drill the holes on those IM/RC/Branchline box cars. A drilling template for those would be super handy. Then again, all of those cool Kadee parts are delrin.... but for some reason they take paint better than a lot of other stuff. Maybe just less handling and flexing than other items (like off-topic era locomotive handrails).

Andy