Re: reweighing

Andy Harman

At 07:28 AM 5/11/2012 -0700, you wrote:

Wooden and steel underframe cars (except refrigerator cars) should be reweighed and remarked each year during the first two years the cars are in service and thereafter once every two years. All steel cars and all refrigerator cars should be reweighed and remarked at least once every three years.
This may seem like a stupid question, but what was the purpose of reweighing cars at a particular interval? If something was done to change the weight of a car such as a rebuilding or alteration, change of trucks or brake system etc. wouldn't the reweigh be done at that time? Otherwise what would cause the weight of a car to change? A wood car I suppose could vary just by the amount of moisture in the wood, but that would be a seasonal thing. And I suppose steel cars eventually go on a rust diet and shed a few pounds. Or the opposite if it received a new paint job. But I can't see any of these things being significant enough to affect its basic rating.

Or was the reweighing done specifically to confirm that the car had NOT been altered?

Andy