Re: reweighing

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Andy Harman wrote:
This may seem like a stupid question, but what was the purpose of reweighing cars at a particular interval? If something was done to change the weight of a car such as a rebuilding or alteration, change of trucks or brake system etc. wouldn't the reweigh be done at that time?
I don't know if it's in the 1920 rules or not, but in later years there WAS a provision that any repair or other change to the car that could affect weight would require reweighing at that time. So the interval was only part of the requirements.

Otherwise what would cause the weight of a car to change? A wood car I suppose could vary just by the amount of moisture in the wood . . .
A wood sheathed car, in its first year to two years of service, lost hundreds of pounds of weight due to continued drying of the wood. The railroad obviously wanted to be able to charge for those hundreds of pounds in the gross weight. Tim has pointed out that wheel wear could involve a lot of weight change too.

Or was the reweighing done specifically to confirm that the car had NOT been altered?
That too. The point was to be sure of the correctness of the light weight.

Publishers of books on railroad history