Re: Southern Car & Foundry tank car kit questions

Andy Harman

At 11:42 AM 5/11/2012 -0700, you wrote:
simpler to manufacture. I gathered that you can look for ALL Kadee
couplers, eventually, to be whisker type.
The only issue I see here is that the bronze spring provides some thickness and in some manufacturer's draft gear a whisker coupler may droop a little. But that's easily fixed with a shim, which is a lot easier than fixing the opposite problem. I encountered several cars from Athearn and BLI that did not have room for the ubiquitous bronze spring without binding, which was a pain to fix before the whiskers came along. I probably use whiskers now at an 8 to 1 preference over the bronze. I also stick with the large heads on longer cars - but I don't think those will be going away any time soon.

I also have another growing Athearn bluebox collection of clone couplers and springs including the Walthers #5 clone and bronze springs. Amazing how fast that box fills up... when it's full it goes on ebay like the last one. Got $12 I think.

Andy