Re: Turn of the century freight car wheels

Tom Vanwormer

Fenton,
Regular occurrence on the Colorado Midland with its steep descents from
Hagerman Pass, later from Ivanhoe in both east and west directions and
eastbound out of Cascade down the 4% grade into Manitou. The ETT had
major sections on the inspections to be performed, the documentation of
those inspections and the operation of the Safety Switch a quarter of a
mile downgrade (east) of Cascade. We have found lots of period
newspaper stories of the problems with wheel and axle failures.
Tom VanWormer

O Fenton Wells wrote:

Thanks Tom. Did the cast iron and wroght iron overheat when decending a
steep grade?
Fenton Wells
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Tom Vanwormer <robsmom@...> wrote:
Fenton,

<>Mostly cast iron, some were wrought iron. Some of the eastern roads had
started to switch to steel.
Tom VanWormer

srrfan1401 wrote:
Gentlemen, does anyone know what metal was used in fright car wheels
around the turn of the 20'th centruy? I'm talking about the year 1900.
I am interested because of the heat characteristics that the metal
would have had as the trains decended a steep grade. I understand the
early wheels heated up rapidly causing a safety hazard on early cars
on steep grades as a train decended. Also when were air brakes
required to be on all freight cars?
Any help is appreciated.
Fenton Wells