Re: More.....RPM

Andy Harman

At 03:29 PM 5/15/2012 -0500, you wrote:
I remember a discussion about case hardened tools that occurred back around
1965 between my father and one of my friends who was just about finished
with his tool and die apprenticeship. The problem was they were both talking
different eras with dad's experience going back to WWII and beyond.
My pet peeve is the term OEM. My eyes glaze over when I hear it. I know what the acronym stands for, but the term OEM is used to mean actual manufacturer (as in, factory), the brand who rebadges it, the middle man between the two, the dealer, a description of an inferior version of name brand product ("Microsoft OEM mouse"), or even a verb ("we OEM it to them"). Thus "We are the OEM" is utterly meaningless without clarification. I first discovered this when the company I worked for became an OEM for Texas Instruments. Which meant that we were a *dealer*, not a manufacturer, according to their terminology. All downhill from there... based on how I've seen that term used, the Chinese factory, Athearn, Horizon, my local hobby shop, and perhaps even the shipping company could end up being badged an OEM. Which makes the UPS driver an "OEMmer".... too many terms have lost their original meaning or have become generic. Like "modem" for "any box between my computer and a comm line".... and the term "digital modem" is an oxymoron.

Andy