Re: More.....RPM

Jeff Shultz <jeff@...>

Original Equipment Manufacturer. So if you bought an OEM part, it was intended for sale to someone who would package (and possibly more importantly _support_) it as part of a larger item. The idea being that you were getting the same quality part, just without the fancy packaging, possibly all the documentation, and the level of markup of the same part sold as retail.
--
Jeff Shultz
www.shultzinfosystems.com

Andy Harman <gsgondola@...> wrote:

At 03:29 PM 5/15/2012 -0500, you wrote:
I remember a discussion about case hardened tools that occurred back around
1965 between my father and one of my friends who was just about finished
with his tool and die apprenticeship. The problem was they were both talking
different eras with dad's experience going back to WWII and beyond.
My pet peeve is the term OEM. My eyes glaze over when I hear it. I know
what the acronym stands for, but the term OEM is used to mean actual
manufacturer (as in, factory), the brand who rebadges it, the middle man
between the two, the dealer, a description of an inferior version of name
brand product ("Microsoft OEM mouse"), or even a verb ("we OEM it to
them"). Thus "We are the OEM" is utterly meaningless without
clarification. I first discovered this when the company I worked for
became an OEM for Texas Instruments. Which meant that we were a *dealer*,
not a manufacturer, according to their terminology. All downhill from
there... based on how I've seen that term used, the Chinese factory,
Athearn, Horizon, my local hobby shop, and perhaps even the shipping
company could end up being badged an OEM. Which makes the UPS driver an
"OEMmer".... too many terms have lost their original meaning or have
become generic. Like "modem" for "any box between my computer and a comm
line".... and the term "digital modem" is an oxymoron.

Andy