Re: Oddballs decals

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Thanks Don,

You have basically proved that it is more dependent on the craftsman doing
the printing than the method. Each method has it's pro's and con's but
properly done, both can produce very nice product.

My work has been compared with that of other Alps printers and screen
printers. It has always been considered of the highest quality. This is not
a plug as I am currently not really looking for additional work (troubles
with my last printer causing limitations on what I can do and raising my
costs). I say this merely to advise buyers to not lump all Alps decals as
second in quality. My work has be said to be more opaque than many screen
printers, sharper images than many others including screen printers and for
the lack of the "dot matrix" pattern common to those Alps printers that use
dithered colors as opposed to spot colors. One set I produced for a few
buyers that was a direct replacement for one previously sold by an Alps
printer that had left the business, when viewed by a very knowledgeable
aficionado of that railroad claimed mine better after doing rapid
examination due to the use of spot colors instead of dithered colors.
Frankly, for me the most enjoyable part is the artwork. The printing was
always a bit of a PIA. But I need to find someone to do the printing. And
the hard part of that is I have always pretty much specialized in the short
run stuff which is too costly using screen or pas printing methods.

Again I must emphasize the importance of properly drawn, vector graphics
artwork with all colors separated. With such artwork and a good craftsman
doing the printing, both methods will yield a good product.

John Hagen