Re: Experiences with Archer Rivets


Jack Burgess <jack@...>
 

<While my experiences with Archer Rivets have not been associated with
<frt cars yet, I will add the following:
<
<1. I wanted to apply Archer Rivets to a replacement for an oil bunker
<top for the Athearn UP FEF-3 4-8-4. The oil bunker's top was a model of
<the excursion engine and I replaced it with a new plastic top. I used
<Archer Rivets for the rivets on the new bunker top.
<
<Lessons learned: I applied the rivets to unpainted plastic. When I spray
<painted the new top I blew some rivets off. I simply reapplied them but
<this time, I hand brushed clear Polyscale paint over the rivets. Waiting
<until the paint had dried, I then air brushed again to see how the
<rivets would hold up. Noooo problem.
<
<2. I wanted to apply Archer Rivets to a completed steel 200,000 gal
<water tank. In this case, the tank was fully painted....black.
<
<Lessons learned. When I applied the rivets...in this case, both single
<lines and double rivet lines [ the radial tank car rivets ]...I
<immediately noticed that the black colored rivets disappeared when
<appllied to a black surface when wet. When the decal had dried, it
<became visible but was then difficult to position. My advice? Apply
<Archer Rivet decals to a white plastic surface. When dry, hand brush
<with a Polyscale clear. After drying, then air brush to the desired
<color.
<
<Archer Rivets? I love them. By the next Prototype Rails at Cocoa
<Beach..Jan 10, 2013...I will have completed a new coal bunker for a C&O
<C-16 0-8-0 bashed from a P2K USRA engine. Also, I am planning to use
<Archer Rivets to produce a rather important UP Harriman head end car
<bashed from one of Jon Cagle's SC&F models.
<
<Mike Brock

I just finished using some Archer rivets on a scratchbuilt logging incline
tank car. The rivets were to be applied to a brass wrapper on the copper
tube tank and, as a test, I sprayed Testor's Gloss Lacquer on a spare tank
(well, actually a tank on which I messed up the brass wrapper) and the
rivets seemed very sturdy once dried. So, I airbrushed a coat of Gloss
Lacquer on my real tank before adding more details, etc. but constant
handling seemed to mess up the lacquer finish so I removed it with some
lacquer thinner and ultimately applied the rivets directly to the brass
wrapper. No problems. I airbrushed the tank today with Floquil and
everything is fine.

Jack Burgess

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.