Re: Freight Car Brown

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

It's been a while since I raised the question about what paint color or mix
comes closest to CB&Q Indian Red (aka mineral red). I've found ten different
published painting recommendations from straight out of the bottle to
complex color mixes.

Floquil

1 part D&H Caboose Red; 3 parts Southern Freight Car Brown

Floquil

Erie Lackawanna Maroon with a little Reefer White

Floquil

1 part Caboose Red; 4 parts Boxcar Red

Floquil

Southern Freight Car Brown

Floquil

9 parts Tuscan Red; 1 part Boxcar Red; 1 part Reefer White

Floquil

ATSF Mineral Brown

ModelFlex

Maroon Tuscan Oxide Red

ModelFlex

Dark Tuscan Oxide Red

Poly Scale

1 part Special Oxide Red; 3 parts Zinc Chromate Primer

Scalecoat II

1 part Tuscan Red; 1 part Boxcar Red

These colors range from relatively brown to oxide red, so some of them are
clearly the wrong color for CB&Q.

I matched some paint chips from a depot that was last painted in the 1950s,
but the resulting color seemed to have too much zinc chromate and not enough
red. Probably the color shift on the paint chips was from sun exposure over
50 years, and I don't have any idea what a newly painted depot or freight
car looked like in 1953. The mix that matched the paint chips using Poly
Scale is:

5 parts Zinc Chromate Primer

2 parts ATSF Red

2 parts Special Oxide Red

Was the same paint use on structures also used on wood sided freight cars
before the Q got their first all steel Class XM-32 box cars? I have several
double and shingle sheathed box cars ready for paint, and I'm still
undecided about what to use. Does anyone out there have an authentic color
chip to match?

Nelson Moyer