Re: Load please. (routing)

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Allen Rueter wrote:
I don't think you have to be that explicit in the St. Louis switching district.
This was true in a number of places. Jerry Stewart pointed out to me that waybills for cars moving through Chicago rarely specified which interline roads (EJ&E, IHB, etc.) would handle movements, because it was understood that local Chicago-area yardmasters would move cars between junctions as convenient for them. So a waybill routing might simply say "NYC-CHI-C&NW" and it would work however it worked on that trip.

Publishers of books on railroad history