Re: Sorting out T&G board materials and widths used on DS house car side sheathing and wood doors

FRANK PEACOCK

John, The drawing that you sent is what I saw/measured except that it was 5 1/4 groove to groove. That gives 2 5/8 which is .030 in HO, which as it turns out is available from EvG. It seems to me that most DS cars were sheathed with 3 1/4 (.037 in HO) but lots of FGEX and Sou Ry cars used the 5 1/4 CVG, plus some others of course. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

To: STMFC@...
From: sprinthag@...
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:39:27 -0500
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Sorting out T&G board materials and widths used on DS house car side sheathing and wood doors

Frank,

It sounds to me like you are speaking of standard car siding. Most wood

caboose' with what looks like 2 1/2' "grooved" siding was actually 5" (plus

the tongue) tongue-in-groove planks with a V-groove in the center. The outer

edges are beveled so that when two planks are put together the edges form

another V-groove that matches the center groove.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu61/neoliticman/Carsiding.jpg

In 12" to the foot terms this stuff is available from lumber dealers today.

My last house had a small den with #2 (tight knots) car siding walls and

ceiling. Looked great but when I had to replace some due to a water leak

that led to window replacement, the new stuff was 1/2 " narrower than the

late 1940's planks used when it was built. So I had to make my own so that

the horizontal planks below the window line would be the same where they met

at the corner. The house was also built with 2X4's that measured 2X4. I

gotta tell you that room with a light (Pecan IIRC) stain then varnished car

siding looked just superb.

John Hagen