Re: "beaded" sheathing material Follow On Discussion

Tom Vanwormer

A.J. Hundhausen wrote:

From: Art Hundhausen <rmlion@...
<mailto:rmlion@...>>
<>Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:14:14 -0600
To: Bill Welch <fgexbill@...
<mailto:fgexbill@...>>
Subject: Re: "beaded" sheathing material

I have used Evergreen "V-Groove" siding with an 0.030" spacing of the
grooves on most of our cars. The resulting board width of 0.060"
corresponds to 5.22 inches in HO scale, which is pretty close to the
standard 5 inch siding. The Evergreen stock number is 2030 for the
0.020" thick styrene sheets or 4030 for the 0.040" thick sheets.

If the siding boards had their tongues and grooves cut into boards
that started with 5" widths, the actual visual width of the boards on
the sheathed cars would have been a bit smaller than 5". In that case,
"V-Groove" siding with an 0.025" spacing of the grooves (Evergreen
stock numbers 2025 or 4025) might be better. I have used this on some
of our cars. In doing our masters I have tried to get the actual
visual width of the sheathing boards from photos. I've been saving the
still smaller spacing (0.020") of the Evergreen N-scale freight car
siding for a new version of our Colorado Midland, St. Charles
built-boxcars. Our caster for the original version of these cars went
out of business and we didn't recover the master for that car body. If
I redo it I will use the narrower boards appropriate for the first
cars in that group.

I assume from your initial message that you have photos of the D&RG
car that you are modeling. Your best bet if you want maximum accuracy
would be to determine the board width by counting the boards in some
known length along the side in a photo.

May I ask what number series these cars were in? I do have a few
photos, plus some of the original D&RGW folio drawings. The latter
would give some accurate dimensions.

As for the scribing tool, I use a rather blunt scriber that was
designed for use on brass. I don't think this is crucial as long as it
is blunt enough to produced slightly wider grooves before the
texturing process using sandpaper. The effect I have tried to achieve
is a subtle one where the the pattern of alternating grooves is
visible but not conspicuous.

From: Bill Welch <fgexbill@...
<mailto:fgexbill@...>>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 20:54:58 -0400
To: Joan Hundhausen <rmlion@...
<mailto:rmlion@...>>

Thank so much Art!

Two more questions. What is the catalog number for the Evergreen
material you are using? Alternatively, what is the grove spacing? What
tool are you using to add depth to every other groove? I think the
extra effort will be worth it.

Best regards,

Bill