From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 9:33 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Evergreen--hat section? And more?

Dennis, you know a lot about tooling and such. Would it be possible
to make a "die" (or whatever it's called) that you could pull a styrene
strip (like a 2x4 or whatever) and it would "shave" the strip into a
hat section?

Tim O'

"Hat section" is problematic, as there was no standard. Many cars, many different dimensions, some that tapered along their length. Since hat section posts were pressings, many from our period also had differing width flanges to make integral gussets at the end of the members. Hat section posts for modern cars would be a possibility, but their flanges would have to be thinner that anything Evergreen currently makes, at least for use in HO scale.

Dennis