Re: Evergreen--hat section? And more?

spsalso

I made something like this to shape aluminum. In my case, I made it of steel and in two pieces. I chose the two-piece method because I didn't think there'd be a chance in hell in doing the "draw" in a single pull. It took multiple times as I gradually closed the two pieces together. I think if you were doing this thing "at home" (as I did), that pulling a plastic strip through would take multiple pulls, too; as the plastic would probably tear if you tried it with one pull.

While this method would never be commercially viable, it could certainly occupy a few leisurely hours at home.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Dennis, you know a lot about tooling and such. Would it be possible
to make a "die" (or whatever it's called) that you could pull a styrene
strip (like a 2x4 or whatever) and it would "shave" the strip into a
hat section?

Tim O'

"Hat section" is problematic, as there was no standard. Many cars, many different dimensions, some that tapered along their length. Since hat section posts were pressings, many from our period also had differing width flanges to make integral gussets at the end of the members. Hat section posts for modern cars would be a possibility, but their flanges would have to be thinner that anything Evergreen currently makes, at least for use in HO scale.

Dennis