Re: New Shapes to come

StephenK

The real answer to guard rails that don't reveal bare nickle silver would be code 82 (or Code 80) size rail. Paint it whatever color you use, and it would be slightly lower than the running rail--and the cleaner block would pass over it without removing the paint.

Steve Kay

--- In STMFC@..., "midrly" <midrly@...> wrote:

There are many possibilities for the use of styrene rail. Not only for D&H modellers of the steam era that will have CWR next the running rails to be put in track (did any other road use much CWR in the STMFC timeframe?).

Handlaid turnouts and bridge decks (both actually relevant to STMFC'ers) could finally have guardrails that would not reveal bare nickle silver tops after track cleaning. Some railway structures used old rail as structural steel components instead of I- or H-section beams, another advantage of styrene rail shapes for the modeller.

National Steel Car had an in-plant service gon that used light rail (I have a photo of this car), probably 80# or lighter, as the posts supporting the sides of the car. This car also used the lowest third portion of their NSC-1 ends. Tricky to build out of nickle-silver rail, but easy in styrene. Maybe some roads used rail for uprights in gons as well?

As for rail length, very common in our era were 33' rails in many railways' main tracks. They fit nicely in the 36' i.l. gons and flats used to transport rail from the mill to customer. 39' rail was coming into use, but 33' rails were still very common. I don't recall any 39' rail being in use before 1910. To add to the mix, some roads chopped 18" off each battered end of rails, producing 36', 30', and 27' rails in the process. So cutting what length you want out of 36" long styrene shapes would be best for the modeller. But I'd personally appreciate even 12" lengths of Code 70/55 rail from Evergreen.

But modelling various rail-built bumpers, parking lot curbs, etc, is best done with metal rail for durability. Errant elbows do a lot of damage on a layout.

And I'll echo Dennis Storzek's thoughts on smaller-section styrene strip, such as .010" square. Maybe some 5 thou strip...please??

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Ed" <nprybiged@> wrote:

We were talking about having Evergreen,or someone make some new
shape materials.

Well I'm going to dive off on the high board and hope someone filled
the pool.

How about making Styrene Rail, yes I said Rail, in code 100, 83 and
55. Think about it. How many times have you seen photos of the Right
of Way with, depending on the era, 38' sections or welded rail along
side of the track awaiting to be rerailed, or stacks of rail stored
in a freight yard.

This also opens up the posiblety of a welded rail train. Say 15 old
wooden side dump cars with the ends removed and one or two levels of
Rail. Now, I think, if you ahcor the rail in the middle it should
bend ok without derailing the cars.

So if we can but scale HO Tie plates and Rail Joiners in Styrene why
not Scale Rail. I know it can be done just look at the pieces of iron
work that Plastruct markets.

OK, how about your thoughts.

Ed Ursem