ADMIN: Plastic rail thread terminated

Mikebrock

Guys,

Unexpectedly to me, welded rail came into use in the US in 1930. From the 1955 Track and Structure Cyc:

Concerns with expansion/contraction led RR's to use it in tunnels at first so as to avoid significant temperature differences. The first installation occurred in the US in 1930 by Central of Georgia in two of its tunnels. By the end of 1953 380 track miles were installed in tunnels and open track environments. By that time, the longest installation was 19812 ft on the EJ&E which was formed by joining an 11440 ft length installed in 1944 with an 8372 length added in 1950. The 1955 Track and Structure Cyclopedia shows an NP train hauling 8 strings of 2490 ft lengths 890 miles over 3 mountain ranges. So, welded rail and the transportation of it is within our time frame.

I will note that when Dennis Storzek writes about guard rails:

"It was also almost never installed on tie plates. So, if your bridge deck is built to scale, the track cleaning block shouldn't touch the guard rails anyway".

Given that Dennis refers to "bridge decks" I think we can assume that he refers to guard rails on bridges. Guard rails associated with turnout frogs were, however, placed on Guard Rail Plates. These plates supported both the guard rail and the running rail opposite the frog. Since the frog is elevated by its supporting plate, the opposite running rail and guard rail are necessarily raised as well. In fact, such guard rails are attached to the running rail. These plates are longer than standard tie plates and vary from 16 to 23 inches in length.

However, interesting as this subject might be, other than some discussion regarding rail as a load, the STMFC is not the forum to discuss the manufacture of plastic models of rail...welded or not. Given that we seem to have exhausted the subject, it is time to terminate this thread. If you feel otherwise, feel free to offer your views to me or Jeff Aley at STMFC-owner@...

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner