30 Days to St. Louis RPM 2012

golden1014

2012 ST. LOUIS RAILROAD PROTOTYPE MODELER'S (RPM) MEET

The SIXTH ANNUAL St. Louis RPM Meet will be held on Friday, July 27th and Saturday, July 28th at the Gateway Convention Center, One Gateway Drive, Collinsville, IL 62234.  Collinsville is 12 miles east of metro St. Louis on I-55/70.  Meet Hours: 9 AM to 9 PM both days.  Our latest flyers can be found at http://home.mindspring.com/~icg/rpm/stlrpm.pdf or just Google “St. Louis RPM” for more information.

The Heart of our event is YOUR MODELS!

Bring your models, finished or in progress, for display and discussion.  All scales, gauges, and models from all eras are welcome; bring locomotives, structures, freight cars, dioramas, vehicles or other models. There are no contests. The purpose of the meet is to share techniques, learn from your fellow modelers, and meet people from St. Louis and around the U.S.  We had 1,000+ models on 45 full display tables at our last meet!

In addition to model displays, presentations by nationally-recognized modelers and historians are scheduled for both days. Historical Societies and select vendors will also be in attendance; live, hands-on weathering clinics will be presented.  Evening layout tours and operating sessions are scheduled.  All this in 10,000 sq. ft. at the professional Gateway Convention Center.

Two Days! July 27th and 28th in Collinsville, IL

Driving Directions:

- Traveling North on I-55/70: Take Collinsville Exit 11. At traffic light, turn left onto Highway 157/Bluff Road to Eastport Plaza Drive, turn Left. Continue to Gateway Drive, turn right. Gateway Center is located on your left.
- Traveling East on I-40 or 44: Take Interstate 55/70 North, to Collinsville Exit 11. At traffic light, turn left onto Highway 157/Bluff Road to Eastport Plaza Drive, turn Left. Continue to Gateway Drive, turn right. Gateway Center is located on your left.
- Traveling East or West on I-64: Take Exit 9 and then drive North on Hwy 157, approximately 7 miles, to Eastport Plaza Drive which is located off Hwy. 157. Turn left on Eastport Plaza Drive, then right on Gateway Drive. Gateway Center is located on left. and then left onto Gateway Drive. Gateway Center is located on right.

Hours: 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M both days.  Admission: $20.00 Fri & Sat, $15.00 Sat only.  Kids under 13 free with paid adult admission.  Vendor set-up at 7:15 AM Fri.  Sales end at 5:00 P.M. Sat.  This is a not-for-profit event.

CLINICS
Presentations will run from 9:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. both days.  Our featured speakers include:
Bob Harpe – Modeling Southern SD-45 3100L
The Dean of Diesel Modeling, Author, and Savannah RPM host presents cutting-edge diesel modeling, Southern style!

Roger Hinman – IC/NP Refrigerator Cars, 1909-1961
Roger examines the vast IC/NP refrigerator fleet from his forthcoming book—See  http://www.signaturepress.com/

Ed Hawkins – Non-Standard ARA Offset Hoppers
Our friend, author and RP Cyc. publisher describes prototype of the forthcoming Intermountain model.

Ryan Crawford – A Day on the C&IM
The co-author of "Chicago & Illinois Midland Railway in Color," compares one day on the C&IM in 1975 and 1989.

Bill Schaumburg – Cars for the 5:15
Railroad Model Craftsman’s editor explores Midwestern commuter railroading in the transition era.

Mont Switzer – Favorite Freight Car Projects II
Longtime author and Monon modeler is back with more new modeling and exciting projects in HO.

David Lehlbach – Tangent Scale Models
Tangent Scale Models’ owner presents the products, business direction and prototypes of TSM’s model line.

Dave Roeder, MMR – Prototype Layout from Planning to Ops
Dave explains layout planning, construction, detailing, and ops, and will open his layout to STL RPM attendees.

Tony Sissons – Scratchbuilding & Super-Detailing Turnouts and Track
The famous English modeler returns to St. Louis, explaining and demonstrating super-detailed track and turnout construction.

John Greedy – Where’s The Beef?
John describes the Hormel meat-packing industry, with tips on modeling a variety of meat refrigerator cars in HO.

Joe Collias – St. Louis in the 1940s and 1950s, In Color
The master photographer and author presents original color images of St. Louis railroading from the 40s & 50s.

HANDS-ON CLINICS
Dave Schroedle, fromProtoweathering.com, will present Simple Weathering Techniques with AIM Powders all day, both days!  Bring your own models or buy them at the meet to learn new finishing skills!
Jeremy St. Peterand his six-man crew from The Weathering Shop will demonstrate their amazing weathering techniques as seen on their website at http://theweatheringshop.com/.  Bring models to weather and finish!
Pull up a chair with Tony Sissons as he builds and teaches turnout construction as described in his clinic all day, both days!
VENDORS
Our biggest lineup ever!  70 tables of elite vendors: Bob’s Photos, Tangent Scale Models, Moloco, Plano, LokSound, ExactRail, Railflyer Models, Archer Fine Transfers, ProtoCraft, Rails Unlimited, Funaro & Camerlengo, ICG Custom Decals, Big Four Graphics, American Model Builders, Badger Airbrush, Mike Gruber Photos, Stan Rydarowicz Models, Proto 87 Stores, Des Plaines Hobbies, Joe Collias Photos, Q Connection, Mask Island Decals, Red Board Hobbies, John Fuller Photos, Netterfield Hobbies, Moon Dog Railcars, and more!
RAILROAD HISTORICAL SOCIETIES
The largest annual gathering of railroad historical societies in the U.S.  The New York Central, Wabash, Missouri Pacific, GM&O, Nickel Plate, Central of Georgia, Illinois Terminal, Terminal Railroad Association and C&NW societies will be on hand to aid your modeling.
DOOR PRIZES!
NEW!  LAYOUT TOURS!
Tour and operate beautiful home layoutsby Bill Giese and John Schindler on Thursday (7:00 – 9:00 p.m.), and Dave Roeder and Mike Wise on Friday (7:30 – 10:00 p.m.)  Call or write for details on Thursday tours, or meet us at Bandana’s BBQ next to the Gateway Center (4 Commerce Drive, Collinsville, IL) for dinner at 5:30 p.m. and we’ll leave from there.  Friday tours leave from the RPM meet at 7:00 p.m.
PHOTOS FROM OUR PREVIOUS MEETS
... 2011 can be found at herel
... 2008 can be found at herel
... 2006 can be found at herel
... 2005 can be found at herel
... 2004 can be found at herel
ST.LOUIS AREA ATTRACTIONS
In addition to St. Louis RPM, St. Louis is also the home of the John W. Barriger National Railroad Library at the campus of the University of Missouri (http://www.umsl.edu/barriger/), the National Museum of Transportation (http://www.transportmuseumassociation.org/exhibits.html) and some of the best railfanning in the world.  Is the family coming too?  Check out area attractions at http://www.stlouisattractions.com/.
SEE YOU AT ST. LOUIS RPM!
Contact John Golden at Golden1014@... (812) 929-7181, Dan Kohlberg at paducah@... or Lonnie Bathurst at Bathurst@... (217) 556-0314 for meet info and layout tour reservations.  The Gateway Center Website is available at http://www.gatewaycenter.com/ for more information and directions. Gateway NMRA Division is at http://www.gatewaynmra.org/default.htm.

See you in St. Louis!

Signed,

Lonnie Bathurst
Daniel Kohlberg