Re: Lumber Loads on Flat Cars and in Box Cars

np328

Recently while looking over some paperwork on car supply, etc, I found much to support Richard's comment.
And if I could add, by the early 50's, the mills in Oregon (the largest lumber shippers in that time frame) wanted not only boxcars but good interior quality 50 foot double door cars, to the point of rejecting either rough interior cars or 40 footers, even when car supply was tight.
Currently researching and hoping to present at Naperville and perhaps Cocoa more on this in a broader sense.
Jim Dick - Roseville, MN

On Jun 27, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Jim Betz wrote:
Jim, you're overlooking an important distinction that has been made
on this list in the past but keeps coming up. That's the fact that,
in the steam and transition eras, finished lumber was almost always
shipped in box cars, only rough lumber on flat cars or gondolas.
Packaged lumber (i.e., even-sized stacks wrapped in plastic) wasn't
shipped on flat cars until the '60s and later. I have many photos
from the '50s and earlier showing lumber loads on flat cars, and in
almost all cases the stacks consist of more or less random lengths
with one or both ends irregular in the way that you describe.
Usually the lumber in the stacks had uniform width and height
dimensions, but not always. But again, that was either large size
lumber that required additional milling/cutting to spec. or the kind
of rough stuff that was used for concrete forms, retaining walls,
etc. Finished lumber for the construction trade was shipped in
closed cars. Richard Hendrickson