Re: Advice Regarding Best Adhesives

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 27, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Pierre wrote:

I'm very much looking forward to hearing suggestions for the
styrene to brass issue myself.
For wood to brass, try Pliobond, and use the heat treatmentto get a
real secure bond. Apply the adhesive to the surface or surfaces,let
flash off some and join together. Then run a soldering iron over
the metal to reactivate the adhesive and clamp well. A fantastic
bond occurs.
Pierre Oliver
No argument with Pierre on Pliobond for wood to brass. However,
using either Piobond or Barge to adhere styrene to metal makes me
extremely nervous. It's been my experience that the vehicle in any
of the rubber-based adhesives attacks styrene, I'd avoid using
those adhesives anywhere that involves styrene. My preference would
be slow setting CA adhesive with the joint clamped or weighted until
the adhesive has set.

Richard Hendrickson