Re: Lumber Loads on Flat Cars and in Box Cars

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
As usual, Guy has lots of documentation, so I stand corrected (at least partly). I would still maintain that large-scale shipment of plastic-wrapped packaged lumber was largely a '60s phenomenon . . .
I would agree. Guy Wilber's documentation cannot be disputed, but 1950s photography of open-car lumber loads shows VERY predominantly unpackaged and unwrapped loads. The existence of a standard for loading of wrapped loads does not equate to widespread use of same.

Publishers of books on railroad history