Re: GPEX cars in freight trains, wasGAC Pfaulder Milk Reefers in freight service

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Don" <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

The "monogram" was noted in the photo but does not appear remotely close to any that I am familiar with being used on GPEX cars.... Are we certain it is a monogram and not a defect in the photo?

Cordially, Don Valentine
Hard to tell, but the "monogram" looks suspiciously like a drawing of a Carnation Milk can. Can't say that Carnation ever had cars so marked, but if this is so, that helps explain the placement in a freight train, as condensed milk products were typically made with "Grade B" (or manufacturing grade)milk, which didn't require as time sensitive shipping, since it was past its prime anyway.

Dennis