From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Charles Hostetler
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:33 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Lumber Loads on Flat Cars and in Box Cars

--- In STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, "np328" <jcdworkingonthenp@...<mailto:jcdworkingonthenp@...>> wrote:

Regarding this conversation:
I cannot also help but think that there was -so much- lumber coming out of Oregon that no matter which side you tend to favor, there was plenty of board feet of timber to support you.
I was following this thread with mild interest until I saw Jim's comment. Then I got curious as to how much rail traffic equated to "-so much-". Fortunately I had finally received a copy of Ed Ullman's work (American Commodity Flow) that provided an approach to the answer based on his analysis of the ICC's 1 percent waybill sample (1948 through 1950). Those interested can find a state by state breakdown of the destinations of lumber shipments by rail from Oregon, Washington, Louisiana, and Mississippi at:

http://cnwmodeling.blogspot.com/2012/07/railroad-shipments-of-products-of.html

Now instead of thinking this might be a mildly interesting sideshow I'm thinking its an interesting part of the main story line. Thanks!

Regards,

Charles Hostetler