Re: Tabulations of State to State Railroad Freight Commodity Flows

Randy Hammill

Thanks for all the work, Charles.

I picked up a copy of the book after you mentioned it on the blog (which has led me to a couple of other references as well). It's definitely a great book, with great information.

For those that haven't seen it, Charles is basically transcribing the meat of the book. While there is some text in addition to the maps with some really good information, for most of us the material he's compiling is what we're looking for.

So thanks for the tip, and for compiling the data.

Randy Hammill
http://newbritainstation.com
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
--
True Line Trains
http://truelinetrains.com

--- In STMFC@..., "Charles Hostetler" <cesicjh@...> wrote:

Good Evening All,

Prompted by a request from Allen Rueter, I've been tabulating the state to state commodity flows that are presented graphically in Ullman's book "American Commodity Flow". The tabulations are based on the ICC 1% sample Carload Waybill Statistics, mostly from 1950 (a few, as noted are from 1948 and 1949). I've finished the first group of 11 states and they are available as the most recent 10 posts at:

http://cnwmodeling.blogspot.com/

There's a gadget at the right called "Blog Archive" and you can find and navigate to the individual posts for the states I've tabulated so far under the 2012 July tab.

Note that Ullman presents statistics only for Vermont and New Hampshire combined; I'll have a few remarks on how to make estimates for their individual contributions in a post subsequent to the tabulations. All of the flows are in tons over an entire year. The smallest flow is 10,000 toms per year which represents about one 50-ton carload every two days.

The states I have tabulated to date are: Utah, Washington, Arizona, Maine, Montana,New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Tennessee, and Vermont & New Hampshire (combination). For these states, petroleum and its derivative products are not broken out. Crude oil is reflected in the total of Products of Mines and refined petroleum products are reflected in the total of Manufactures. In the states still to come Petroleum Products are broken out separately and the tabular format will change accordingly.

The states still to come are: Iowa, Connecticut, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Pennsylvania.

I have no idea how the format of the tables might respond to a copy and paste into a spreadsheet. If anyone wants one of more of the Excel files that contain the data, please don't hesitate to contact me (off-list).

Hope you find this useful!

Regards,

Charles Hostetler
Goshen, IN