From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 9:16 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: How to unload coal 1945

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> ,
water.kresse@... wrote:
This "side-delivery" process was more common in the cold Midwest prior
to the First World War . Normally these cars would dump into a chute going
into the basement of a business' boiler house or on the side of an elevated
trestle in a coal yard. I believe farmers coops would sell coal by the bag
or by mule wagon delivery.

Al Kresse
Coal was delivered in gondolas - drop-bottom or otherwise - to the Farmers
Co-op Elevator in the small Iowa town (pop. 250) in which I grew up. Oscar
Barker, one grade ahead of me in school, was paid $15.00 to shovel the coal
over the side into coal bins. (Oscar's father died when Oscar was young and
the family was in desperate situation financially.) It took Oscar 3 or 4
evenings after school to unload a car.

We heated with stoker coal and it was my job to keep the stoker full, remove
the clinkers, and so on. We bought the coal one or two gunny sacks full at a
time and I drove them home on the fenders of an old Buick. This started
years before I was old enough to get a driver's license. We had a coal bin
but Dad rarely had enough money to fill it all at once.

When the natural gas pipe line came through some time after 1960 it didn't
take long for everyone except Orin Gridley to get on the gas band wagon.
Orin heated with wood until the day he died.

I remember at least one occasion when coal was dropped on the ground,
shoveled into the back of a truck, driven around to the customer side of the
coal bins, and shoveled into the bins. My mental picture is of coal on the
ground being shoveled into a grain truck but, for the life of me, I can not
recall whether it was dumped from a drop-bottom gon or a hopper car.
Delivery in a gondola was the norm.

The coal bins had a asymmetrical roof, steep on the track side and about a
6/12 on the customer side. Each bin had a pair of doors on the track side
through which the coal was shoveled into the bin. By the time I came along
the coal bin floors were below the level of the adjacent drive and always
water or ice covered, depending on the temperature.

Gene Green

Afterthought! It just occurred to me that immediately before checking these
messages I sent an email to the very fellow who ran the elevator when I was
a kid and who shoveled the stoker coal into those gunny sacks. I'll check my
memory with him.