Re: How to unload coal 1945

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., PennsyNut <pennsynut@...> wrote:

On 27,07 2012 15:06 PM, JaredH wrote:

Steve,

It's interesting that most of the pictures of coal bins and sand bins
from the Midwest were covered, but those on the Alma branch were not.
I wonder why. No one has been able to tell me.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA
Jared
A good question. Since coal in a tender is always exposed to the
elements.
It depends how long the coal was expected to stay there. Coal won't melt in a day, or week, even. What was put in the tender today was expected to be gone by tomorrow.

On the other hand, the freeze / thaw cycles do degrade coal, breaking the lumps smaller and smaller, so, coal expected to last the season was usually stored under cover.

Same goes for storage at the coal dealer. How fast did it move? Would one car load of coal sit there one week, one month, or all year? Kansas has a pretty dry climate, so I imagine the dealer figured they wouldn't have to shovel too much snow off the pile to load the coal. A somewhat different situation existed in other parts of the Midwest and Canadian prairies.

Sand of course, is a
different story. Beaches are exposed. Yet, didn't all railroads have
sand in sandhouses to be kept dry? To this day? Dieseasals use sand too.
Wet sand clumps, won't flow down the sander pipes. The railroads paid to dry the sand, either locally at the each terminal years ago, or at a central plant in more modern times. Once dry, they had to keep it dry, or they'd have to dry it again.

Dennis