Re: C&O 100-ton Gondola article on eBay

Joel Holmes <lehighvalley@...>

Hi Al,

You say they were re-trucked in 1924. What type of trucks did they
receive? Do you know where to find the original style trucks in HO?
Would Buckeye trucks be a suitable substitute?

Thank you for any information.

Joel Holmes

Jeff,

This is great to look at . . . . but it ain't usable in an InDesign
layout.  The finished models are gorgeous!  Not many coal cars were
purchased in 1921 and then completely re-trucked in 1924 . . . only four
years later . . . . and then they were kept in Tidewater Test Service so
folks could monitor their performance regularly.

Prior to 1910 the C&O had more flat-bottom coal cars than hopper cars.
These went to Toledo for low-level Brownhoist dumping at the Hocking
Valley docks first on the west side and later (1915-1930) at Starr Avenue
side near Tony Packos.  These were clamped, lifted-up and
tipped/rotated, and dumped into a tapered pan and chute.

Al Kresse