Re: C&O 100-ton Gondola article on eBay

Al and Patricia Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Joel – I actually wrote that article in 1981. I have no memory of the details. The original trucks are not available from any source. A sideframe would have to be built from scratch. That’s not as hard as it sounds. I built quite a few to go with my kits. I used Athearn buckeye trucks on the model. The simple artifice of adding outside brake shoes gives them a different and interesting look. – Al Westerfield

From: Joel Holmes
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:55 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] C&O 100-ton Gondola article on eBay

Hi Al,

You say they were re-trucked in 1924. What type of trucks did they
receive? Do you know where to find the original style trucks in HO?
Would Buckeye trucks be a suitable substitute?

Thank you for any information.

Joel Holmes

Jeff,

This is great to look at . . . . but it ain't usable in an InDesign
layout. The finished models are gorgeous! Not many coal cars were
purchased in 1921 and then completely re-trucked in 1924 . . . only four
years later . . . . and then they were kept in Tidewater Test Service so
folks could monitor their performance regularly.

Prior to 1910 the C&O had more flat-bottom coal cars than hopper cars.Â
These went to Toledo for low-level Brownhoist dumping at the Hocking
Valley docks first on the west side and later (1915-1930) at Starr Avenue
side near Tony Packos. These were clamped, lifted-up and
tipped/rotated, and dumped into a tapered pan and chute.

Al Kresse