Re: C&O 100-ton Gondola article on eBay

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi,

Replying to this a little late, but there is a story I'd like to pass on...

I remember reading Al's classic article back when it was published. It was a total inspiration, and encouraged me to make my first attempts at making castings of my own.

The car side castings I did back then were for the PRR class G23 "battleship" gon. I made a side master, cast up a pair of sides, and went on to complete the rest of the car. This was back in the very early 1990's, when prototype modeling in general had not yet reached the level we have today, and when prototype modeling in N scale was basically unheard of.

It was also at this time that I attended my first PRRT&HS convention. I brought my completed G23 model to the model contest. I didn't have a whole lot of self-confidence back then in my modeling skills, and I was kind of afraid to display the model, lest people look at it and laugh. But I entered it in the contest anyway.

As it turned out, nobody laughed. Instead, one older fellow was carefully examining my model, and I came over to talk with him and we spoke for a while. After a few sentences, this fellow explained "I've built a battleship gon myself, but I did the C&O version". It had not yet occured to me to look at his name tag, but when I did, yes, you guessed it, it said "Al Westerfield".

You could have knocked me over with a feather!

- Claus Schlund

--- In STMFC@..., "Aley, Jeff A" <Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote:

And of course, Al W’s article in the 12/89 issue of RMJ is viewable on-line at

http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/7/471/december-1989-page-19

Regards,

-Jeff

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Al and Patricia Westerfield
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 3:02 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] C&O 100-ton Gondola article on eBay

Al â€" You don’t need to spend big bucks on the article. I drew model railroad plans from the article, had the photos from the article and a how to build the car in the 12/89 issue of Railmodel Journal. It was the project that got me into the business. â€" Al Westerfield

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 1:53 PM
To: STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] C&O 100-ton Gondola article on eBay

By any chance did anyone on this group get the winning bid on the 1922 Railway Review 4-page article about the C&O 91-ton capy 6-wheel trucked gondola cars? I thought I had somebody seriously bidding on it for me for scanning of drawins for use in a C&O History magazine article on those cars. Any leads to the purchaser would be appreciated.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.