Favorite Moments in Modeling

Bill Welch

One of the things I enjoy is tweaking whatever model I am working on, whether it is improving something as small as the Placard Boards by scratch building them, adding a new sill to represent a rebuilding or strengthening or doing my best to replicate exactly the sill steps. Whether it is a styrene or resin kit, this means using materials that are not the same colour as the model being tweaked. I particularly love it when the paint begins to go on and all those pieces large and small in their various colours become obscured.

A variation of this occurred today when I received some car side parts I created for a kit project I am working on. Except for the black rivets harvested from an Athearn boxcar and the many small black marks made with a .03 pen, everything was white when I sent the pattern off to be cast. Today I open the package and inside are big slabs of grey resin. Marvelous! It is actually easier to look at in this form and easier to see the detail, especially how well the grooved siding turned out--remember that discussion awhile back. It is a feeling of accomplishment that is very satisfying. Tomorrow I will start adding more white styrene to create the second and final level of details to create two different side patterns (two different door sizes). Then I will be able to repeat the experience all over again. What a great hobby.

Bill Welch