Re: (unknown)

Tom Gloger

--- ThisIsR@aol.com wrote:
I've been following the the thread discussing wood siding on SS
boxcars and the various discussions regarding reefers.
1)Ref: wood siding...Am I to understand that all wood siding on
outside braced boxcars was tongue and groove construction and that
there was virtually no separation between the individual boards? If
I was to look at the prototype all I would see is a line between
boards, not a gap, is this a correct understanding? What about
flatcar decks? Were these constructed in the same way?
As far as I can make out, it all centers around the need for
water-tightness. All or nearly all boxcars and reefers had tight
boards and metal roofs by the late 1930s. Stock cars, OTOH, often
still had wood roofs (and thus didn't require lateral extensions to the
running boards) because they were open to the weather anyway. (Am I
correct in assuming wood roofs were difficult to keep watertight?) Flat
cars probably needed the gaps for drainage. I saw a wooden depot
platform in 1957 with gaps so wide that my companion's baby sister was
afraid she'd slip through! Probably only 3/4", but when you're that
small...

2)I have a freightcar blocking manual for Seaboard dated 1933. It
mentions a particular SAL freight picking up loaded meat reefers from
a connecting road. How common was it to see meat reefers moving in
the SE USA in the steam era? Would there have been one specific
company owned reefer more common than others?
I know there were several meat packers in the SE, but don't recall
which ones. I'll look it up in "Tom's 1938 Register" this weekend
if no one answers by then.

=====
- Tom Gloger e-mail: mailto:tomgloger@yahoo.com
web page: http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.tgloger