From: Mike Brock <brockm@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] PRR covered hoppers colors

Hmmm. Interesting photo. First, Tony and Richard may be correct that the
color is way off. Tony says:

"Todd, it's way green. Everything in the photo is greenish. That means the
dyes have shifted or that the light was funny when the photo was taken. The
color balance is readily corrected in Photoshop."

And, yet, everything in the photo that is "whitish" colored appears VERY
white...except the Pennsy hopper on the right. I mean, the guy who appears
to be standing on the diesel's pilot appears to have just returned from a
lengthy stay at Los Alamos. I suppose the light source COULD have influenced
some of the results. It is strange that the dyes in the photo where the
pilot guy is standing have changed while those where the rightmost hopper
car have not. It is almost as if someone has ALREADY altered the slide's
image.

That's not to say sunlight must be consistent across an image. I can well
recall waiting for ex-N&W 1218 up on the Shenandoah N&W line with clouds
moving very rapidly causing shadows to move as rapidly across my target
view. One second the image would be quite bright appearing, then half might
be in dark shadow, the other half very bright as another cloud moved by. I
lucked out, BTW. It IS noteworthy how dependent one is on mother nature when
shooting photos of any kind.

Mike Brock