From: Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@sbcglobal.net>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] PRR covered hoppers colors

On Aug 13, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Todd Horton wrote:

I'm speculating here, look at the hopper coupled to the one that is
glowing white behind the locomotive cab. "IF" that's a PRR hopper then
there's clearly different shades of these cars. Again, I'm purely
speculating but I have to agree with you Mike. Everything that is
close to white has that nuke effect to it.
Todd,
I don't know if this at all germane to the issue. Original paint
samples from the ACF-built covered hopper cars reveal an incredibly
wide range of gray shades used from 1940 to 1952. I see no reason to
believe that variations in the shades of gray didn't continue with the
PS-2s built during the 1950s.

I have 4 gray paint samples for Missouri Pacific covered hoppers built
by ACF during the relatively short period of 1942 to 1948. Keeping in
mind this was a single railroad, the four shades of gray are not
remotely close.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins