Re: PRR covered hoppers colors

Todd Horton

Scott, are you saying that both the PRR cars are the same color in this photo listed here but due to lighting and the effects of the camera they show up differently than what my eyes are seeing?

I'm trying to look at all sides of this from a reasonable prospective

Todd Horton

Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: PRR covered hoppers colors

Todd, Not Quite.
Whoever took this photo set the exposure in his camera to photograph the engine.Because the engine is so dark to begin with,he is attempting to be able to see some detail on the engine. a side effect, if you will, is to lighten up the entire photo. If the photo had been exposed for the rest of the scene, the engine,in fact the whole scene would be darker. The engine would be so dark no detail would show. The shirt would appear normal. The cars would be darker. Try looking at the photo through sunglasses and you will see what I mean.
The car behind the figure is darker closer to edge of the image because of the vignetting. Notice how dark the upper right corner is. The whole right edge is also darker. It's more apparent in the sky because of the lack of contrast there.
Scott

----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Horton" <mailto:toddchorton%40rocketmail.com>
To: mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 7:40:52 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: PRR covered hoppers colors

So would this account for the hopper car being dark while the guy riding the footboards have a glowing white shirt? I've looked at this pic numerous times. I'm not trying to use it for a painting guide for PRR PS-2's. I'm looking at this as a photo showing that all PRR covered hoppers weren't snow white in color. I know that Kadee caught some flack because of the color choice they made for their offerings.

If I'm reading this correctly then everything to the left of the guy riding the foot boards could have been developed darker than normal. Is that wrong or right in my assumption?

Todd Horton

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.