From: Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@comcast.net>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: PRR covered hoppers colors

Todd, Not Quite.
Whoever took this photo set the exposure in his camera to photograph the engine.Because the engine is so dark to begin with,he is attempting to be able to see some detail on the engine. a side effect, if you will, is to lighten up the entire photo. If the photo had been exposed for the rest of the scene, the engine,in fact the whole scene would be darker. The engine would be so dark no detail would show. The shirt would appear normal. The cars would be darker. Try looking at the photo through sunglasses and you will see what I mean.
The car behind the figure is darker closer to edge of the image because of the vignetting. Notice how dark the upper right corner is. The whole right edge is also darker. It's more apparent in the sky because of the lack of contrast there.
Scott