Re: Transporting Hogs On The UP

Douglas Harding

Bob, interesting account, and some interesting questions. It also raises
some questions for me. The message sounds like it is from Mark Amfahr, who
is a UP buff, as well as modeler and dispatcher.

Problems with extreme cold weather and livestock shipments was not unique to
the UP. Apparently the paper was intended to prevent wind from blowing
through the car, and no doubt prevent snow and ice buildup inside the cars.
When you live in blizzard land you learn the north side was because the
prevailing winds for most winter storms is out of the north or northwest.
The south side in turn would take in whatever sunlight, ie solar warming,
would be present. Earth berm homes today are built with the north side
buried in the hill and the south side exposed to the sun for the same
reasons. Further paper on only one side would allow for ventilation to still
occur, something necessary when dealing with livestock.

I have not heard of the papering before. More common was the requirements to
bed hogs with straw in winter months.

An ATSF livestock brochure from the early 40's required "straw in liberal
quantities should be used for bedding cars for hog shipments in cold
weather. This prevents them from piling and smothering trying to keep warm."

AAR Pamphlet No. 19 for Loading & Handling Livestock , revised Jan 1942,
states: "In cold weather, hay or straw must be added and cars for hogs must
have the hay or straw bedding piled about one foot high around the sides and
ends of car to act as a wind breaker. Not less than one and one-half bales
must be used per deck and in extreme weather at least two. Bales to
approximate in weight 200 lbs."

Now for some questions:

1) Was the paper on the inside or outside of the car? I would speculate
the outside, otherwise the hogs would rip it off and harm themselves with
whatever fastener was used to hold the paper in place (staples?).

2) Would the paper have been similar to the paper later used in grain
doors? Or was it felt paper, ie 15lb rolled roofing paper, which was
commonly used to weather proof buildings, esp before siding was installed.

3) Did they use slats or lath to keep the paper in place?

4) I wonder if Jim Dick has found anything in the NP records that shows
a similar problem and solution, as the NP also encountered extreme winter
weather conditions.

5) Why reuse the same cars? If they can paper one car, they can paper
any car.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org