Re: USATC frieght cars

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

Bruce,
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the kit box cars, gondolas, flat cars and tank car come along AFTER World War Two in anticipation of the next war in Europe?
There have been successive groups of US built cars for war duty in Europe; The Haskell & Barker drawing files were full of drawings for various WWI cars.

The cars that most of us here are familiar with are the cold war era knock-down car "kits" because most of them never left the states. Groups have been surplused at various times, and made their way to tourist railways, or industries where the bodies were used as pre-fab storage sheds. Occasionally someone will get excited because they think they've found an "olde time" freightcar, but in reality these cars were never used in the US.

Dennis