Re: Wheeling steel gondola questions [leads to completion of kit-bash Triple Play]

Eric Hansmann

Greetings Dave!

I wish I could point you to prototype images of the later 1930s and through the 1940s.

I think Cyril Durrenberger had an article in Model Railroader concerning a W&LE gondola conversion from a Tyco/Mantua car. I don't have the article, but there may be a later image of the Wheeling's 52000-53899 gondolas in that article. It starts on page 96 of the January 1987 Model Railroader. This may have also been reprinted in Kalmbach's "Freight Car Projects and Ideas".

I checked the Fallen Flags site and there was nothing there for these gondolas. Same for the NMRA photo archive.

I've got an in-service image of two of these gondolas, but the photo was taken in the early 1930s and there is so much weathering that the lettering is difficult to comprehend. I think they are still in original lettering.

I've always got my eyes open for pre-Depression freight cars in the post-WWII era. I'll pass along anything that is spotted.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

--- In STMFC@..., "ealabhan0" <ealabhan0@...> wrote:

Gentlemen, unfortunate that these interesting gondolas didn't last into
my late-'50s modeling era; still, I'm interested in doing one up for my
1949 steam display train. Anyone have a photo link to one of these gons
in the '40s showing the lettering they wore at the end of their service
lives? I'd rather decal from a photo than just apply a generic WLE
roadname and simplified data.

Appreciate any assistance, Dave Sieber, Reno NV