Re: Wheeling steel gondola questions

Eric Hansmann

Thanks Dennis. Not long after I posted I realized the ORER GK designation is probably the last thing to be wrong on an ORER freight car listing.

I'll probably follow the KD brake system mounting on the USRA composite gondolas for this Accurail conversion. From the prototype image it seems like the KD brake cylinder is in a different location than the position on the Accurail model as it should be adjacent to the easily seen air tank. Here's the link to the buider's image:
http://www.hansmanns.org/images/wandle_52500_gondola_web.jpg

I'm leaning towards a wood floor for the ever cheap Wheeling.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

--- In STMFC@..., Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

> Did these W&LE 52000-53899 gondolas have drop bottoms?

You answered that question above... If it was classed GK, it had a
solid floor. Solid floor meant no doors.

> If so, were the floors wood or steel?

That's a more difficult question, and impossible to answer from the
data in the ORER listing.

As to brake arrangement, I should think lacking any more detailed
information about the underframe, the brake cylinder / lever / rod
part included with the kit should be as close as anything. Just
substitute the reservoir and triple valve from a K brake set,
mounting them to brackets between the framing so the end up where
they appear on the photo.

Dennis
Dennis Storzek