Re: Rare Freight Car Films/ CRR of NJ hopper

james murrie

I think that your listing of the RRs correlated with the industries around Milwaukee is the clue to the situation.
Although coal is thought of as a commodity, there are a lot of different types of coal so depending on where in the US that type is mined, that is the homeroad cars you are looking to have.
It could be that, for example, the industries you see don't use the type of coal mined along the C&NW, but something more common along the IC or whatever. So except for overhead traffic passing by, the hoppers should match the industry (coking coal, steam coal, metalurgical, etc) not what is the homeroad for the city.
Jim Murrie

--- In STMFC@..., "Charles Hostetler" <cesicjh@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "EdwardM" <ed_mines@> wrote:
Regardless of what it was carrying a CNJ hopper that far west would be an odd duck, standing out from many 100s (or maybe 1000s) of local road hoppers....
You put your finger exactly on why I am confused about what to do, Ed. Looking at my photos in Milwaukee from 1952 to 1959, I don't see a sea of 100 or 1000 C&NW/CMO or MILW hoppers. Specifically on Jones Island (in the car ferry yard) I see a lot of C&O hoppers. At Milwaukee Solvay (a coke plant) I see CB&Q, ERIE, and WAB (many) hoppers. And at St. Francis (junction with TMER branch that serves a coal-fired power plant I see PRR, CEI, CB&Q, IC (also GS gons which are pretty cool), and L&M (this is pre-merger).

I admit the sample size is rather small but I am looking at pictures of areas/facilities, not individual freight cars, so the idea that the photographer was selecting non-local cars preferentially doesn't seem right to me in this case. I just don't see any C&NW hoppers. So I'm either forced to conclude my sample is biased and model lots of local hoppers per the "conventional wisdom" or go with the photos I do have and model a dogs-breakfast non-local hopper fleet.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Charles Hostetler