Re: Recommendation for screw sizes

Douglas Harding

Mike I agree with Jim. In HO 2-56 is what I use most often, mostly for
trucks and couplers. 0-80 would be next. Occasionally I use a 00-90, esp for
holding brass details on loco’s. And almost never 1-72. In larger sizes, I
have a few 4-40 and some 6-32 around, but again very rare to use those sizes
on HO models, can’t remember the last time I did. If you have imported
brass, then you will want to stock some metric sizes as well. Check with the
brass guys.

For lengths I stock 2-56’s in 1/8”, 3/16”, ¼”, 3/8”, ½”. The mid lengths
again are the most common used. I use mostly round heads and flat heads. And
mostly brass, though the blackened ones from Micro Fasteners are nice.

And while the hobby shop will stock Walthers and Woodland Scenics, at 8 or
10 per bag the price per unit is high. Micro Fasteners, cited by others, has
a good selection, in 100 count quantities, and a variety of heads and
finishes.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org