Re: red caboose 1937 aar sq corner

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 15, 2012, at 5:08 PM, Mark M wrote:

Purchased two of these and found the Nickle Plate had something
similar

http://rr-fallenflags.org/nkp/nkp15797aga.jpg

The sill is interesting and wonder if they were built or this is a
modification.

Already have an Erie kit with this body and a viking roof, would
like to make the two different roadnames.

Mark, those sills were reinforced very late in life, and the door is
not original either. I'll send you off-line an in-service photo
showing the cars as originally delivered. However, note that the NKP
cars in this series, like the Erie cars, had Viking corrugated
roofs. Still, there were a number of other RRs with 1937 spec. AAR
box cars that had square-cornered ends and Murphy rectangular panel
roofs (e.g., UP, SP, NP, Sou, C&EI, T&P), though none that I can
think of offhand in the northeast.

Richard Hendrickson