From: "Jeff English" <englij@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 9:22 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Rutland gondolas/empties

"JGG KahnSr" <jacekahn@h...> wrote:

Reflecting on Armand's point, I think of photos of the Malone shops I've

seen, which almost always show several wood-side gondolas (some really
old
hopper-bottoms, some essentially flat cars with wood sides and ends
added)
on sidings, presumably bringing coal for locomotive servicing or firing
boilers at the old Northern RR complex (characterized by enormous brick
chimneys).
Later, however (and I would have to research dates to say exactly when),
the Rutland did have a fleet of USRA-type ribbed twin hoppers >(CDS also
makes
makes
lettering sets for them) and, in its last few years, even bought
some
second-hand triple offset-side hoppers.
The Malone Shops did all types of mechanical work, including
building freight and passenger cars, but this was all in the 19th
Century. The world's first refrigerator car is claimed to have been
created there, in 1852. Seems to me it was more of an express
milk reefer, as it was used to sell butter made in northern New york
in the Boston markets.
The locomotive shop operations were shut down earlier than the
car repair functions, so bear this in mind when trying to guess the
service of the many gons seen in photos. As I recall, there was
really only one notable brick chimney (and it <was> impressive!).
The twin hoppers, R 10000 - 10099, were not USRA, but being
8-panel cars they did look very similar. They were built by SSC in
Jan 1915. AFAIK, nobody makes an accurate model of these in
any scale.
The 2nd-hand hoppers were offset twins, not triples, and were
acquired from Chicago Freight Car Leasing in the late 50s. It's
hard to tell who their original owner may have been; I certainly don't
know. Amazingly, at least one of these cars survives and gets
attention for being a rutland car as if it was one of the 10000s. now
<that> would be a treasure if one of those had been preserved.

The Rutland Railroad had a large number of hopper bottom
gons.In 1923 they
stopped sending their steel hoppers to the mines and opted to
receive
company coal in foreign cars.The foreign cars were then unloaded
in
Alburgh,Vt and the loads were transfered to hopper bottom gons
for eventual
shipment to other company facilities.This practice was used to
cut down on
per diem charges.The condition of these cars was such that they
were
resricted to "on line service only".AP
This story is essentially true, but I never heard that this
practice started in 1923 or any other date. Just curious Armand,
how do you know it was 1923?

Jeff English Troy, New York
Proto:64 Classic Era Railroad Modeling
englij@...